Discuz! Board's Archiver

wgi7lo6adv 發表於 2013-5-30 18:37

sale lululemon clothing much like the state government itself

e? But we need to try something else. We just lived through the hottest month on record, on track for the hottest year ever. Climate change is frightening. As Al Gore said in a statement today: The truth about the climate crisis—inconvenient as ever—must be faced. He s still right.Update: As many people pointed out to me, George Voinovich is a Republican. I had meant to write Evan Bayh—got my Midwestern senators mixed. Many apologies.Why? Because there is a Supreme Court ruling, now three years old, that carbon dioxide is a poison that needs to be cleaned up. Next year, the Environmental Protection Agency will begin regulating the hell out of Co2. The business community won t like that, nor will many Republicans. Putting a price on carbon is the only alternative, says Senator Maria Cantwell, who has offered a bill with Maine Republican Susan Collins as co-sponsor that would force the 2000 top polluters to participate in an auction to purchase the right to spew; 75% of the income would be returned as a dividend to taxpayers, the other 25% would go to alternative energy. There s no question that we will have a bill before the EPA regulations kick in. (Senator Lindsey Graham told me something very similar a few months ago and said he was certain that more than a few of his Republican colleagues would vote for putting a price on carbon.)And so, yesterday s death of environmental legislation should be considered a pre-election maneuver. Given a choice between taxes and potentially punitive regulations, the wise the more elegant; the less expensive choice is a tax every time. (Which is why I m disappointed that there wasn t a tax on toxic financial-derivative trading in the Financial Reform bill.) It is an essential conservative principle: you tax the things you want to discourage. Pollution is certainly one; dependence on foreign fossil fuels is another and that s why I hope the next iteration of energy legislation is called: The National Defense Conservation Act. Joe Klein is TIME's political columnist and author of six books, most recently Politics Lost. His weekly TIME column, "In the Arena," covers national and international affairs.While the White House,[url=http://www.lululemononsales.com]sale lululemon clothing[/url], Congress and the oil industry fight over the controversial deepwater drilling moratorium, a federal judge quietly made a significant decision on the next frontier of offshore oil and gas exploration: the Arctic seas. Yesterday U.S. District judge Ralph Beistline blocked energy companies from developing oil and gas leases worth billions of dollars in the Chukchi Sea in northwest Alaska. Beistline ruled that the agency formerly known as the Minerals Management Service had failed to properly assess the environmental impact of natural gas development on the region—even though there are trillions of cubic ft. of natural gas in Alaska s offshore deposits and energy companies who bid on the leases like Shell have talked about their desire to develop gas. (The $2.7 billion,[url=http://www.lululemononsales.com]lululemon yoga gear[/url], 2.76 million acre leases were sold in February 2008 under former President George W. Bush,[url=http://www.lululemononsales.com]lululemon running[/url], despite fierce opposition from environmentalists and some Alaskan native groups—and were kept active under President Obama.) Though Beistline didn t invalidate the original lease sales, as some environmental groups had hoped, the ruling stops all activity under the lease and requires the government to perform additional environmental reviews. This ruling acknowledges the lack of information that [MMS] had about what drilling could do to the Chukchi Sea, says Layla Hughes, the senior program officer for Arctic oil and gas policy at the World Wildlife Fund (WWF). It s pretty amazing the way this turned out. Indeed—Alaskan courts are traditionally about as pro-oil as you can get, much like the state government itself, which derives a 90% of its revenue from oil and gas royalties, so a defeat there would have been expected for greens. But the MMS—shockingly—couldn t even perform the minimum level of environmental assessment needed on the oil and gas leases, and it will now have to take another crack at it. CRelated articles:


頁: [1]

Powered by Discuz! Archiver 7.0.0  © 2001-2009 Comsenz Inc.